BELIEVING, LEARNING AND SHARING TOGETHER: Bric-a brac and unwanted gifts and soft toys / teddy bears needed for the Summer Gala, if you have any please send them into school. Non uniform day Friday 1st July please bring in a jar filled with whatever you can. Dates for your diary FOSMS Summer Gala Saturday 2nd July. We are still trying to upload photos from Towerwood residential to the website. We will let you know as soon as this has been done.
Home Page

Mellor St Mary CE Primary School

Learning Together

Who should I speak to about my child's Special Needs?



Who should I speak to about my child’s special needs?
Always discuss any concerns about your child with the class teacher first of all.

Class teachers are responsible for:

Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be things like targeted work, additional support) and letting the Special Education Needs/Disabilities Coordinator (SENDCo) know as necessary.

Writing Pupil Overview of Provision (POP), and sharing and reviewing these with parents at least once each term and planning for the next term. Adapted teaching and learning for your child as identified on the individuals POP.

Ensuring that the school's SEND Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEND.

SENDO's are responsible for:

Developing and reviewing the school's SEND policy Coordinating all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND)

Ensuring that you are:

involved in supporting your child's learning

kept informed about the support your child is getting

involved in reviewing how they are doing.

Liaising with all the other people who may be coming into school to help support your child's learning e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology etc.

Updating the school's SEND register (a system for ensuring that all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that records of your child's progress and needs are kept.

Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school so that they can help children with SEND in the school to achieve the best progress possible.

Once a child has been placed on the Special needs record she will monitor his/her progress and liaise with teachers about the type of support that can be provided.

You can contact Mrs Embley-Peers via the school office on: 01254 812581

Our SEN Governor is: Mrs S Smith

 The SEN Governor is responsible for making sure that the necessary support is given for any child who attends the school, who has SEND. You can contact them through the school office – 01254 812581