At Mellor St Mary CE Primary School we believe that each and every one of us are special because we are made in the image of God and we must avoid at all cost diminishing the dignity of any individual to a stereo type or a problem.
Our teaching and learning ethos is underpinned by the scripture ‘ For with God nothing shall be impossible’ (Luke 1:37) and we believe that every child has the right to reach their full potential, no matter what their starting point in life may be. This policy has been created to ensure that all our pupils are able to reach their full potential by living life in all its fullness.
The document below provides information on how Mellor St Mary Church of England Primary School ensures that it meets its statutory Specific Equality Duties.
Schools are required by the Public Sector Equality Duty to publish information about Equalities.
The information required to be published and analysed must be linked to the three aims (General Duties) of the Public Sector Equality Duty and these are as follows;
• To eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation and other conduct prohibited by the Act.
• To advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristics and those who do not.
• To foster good relations between people who share a protected characteristics and those who do not.
The Equality Act 2010 identifies the following areas as protected characteristics.
• Gender reassignment
• Marriage and Civil Partnerships (but only in request of eliminating unlawful discrimination.)
• Pregnancy and Maternity.
• Race (including ethnic or national origins, colour and nationality.
• Religion and belief.
• Sex. • Sexual Orientation.